Thursday, April 8, 2010

We Rolled In To Texas Today

Toured the Rt 66 Museum in Clinton this morning.  Probably as good as any you will find on the route - at least between here and Chicago.



Back onto the Mother Road we headed west, alternately on Rt 66 and US 40.  Elk City was pretty neat with the world's largest "inactive" oil drilling rig sitting in the middle of town:

Here is a shot of what the Mother Road looks like in Texas.  She runs parallel to US 40 on the left.  The old road follows the contours of the land - if you look close you can see how the ribbon of concrete goes up and down while the new highway is leveled out.    Rt 66 has much more character.  Just click on the photos to see the full size version with more detail.  I still have not figured out how this  application formats pages so the pictures may not appear in the right spots, but trust me, they are here somewhere.

We will be in New Mexico tomorrow and hopefully will hook up with an old classmate outside of Albuquerque on Saturday.  Lot's of stuff to see between here and there.

I've attached a few more pic's below for your continued enjoyment.







2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest thing I have seen in my WHOLE life. I am LOVING the blog and all the photos!!!

    Thanks Ken for doing this. I am so glad you are all out on the HWY enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SuperSalsera, You are very welcome. We had a blast on the trip and I am glad I have the blog to review the whole thing. It was an amazing experience and almost too much to digest in one drive!

    ReplyDelete